TEMPORARY JOBS/JIG JOBS: a way to economically sustain Yourself during the studies

Many students who are studying abroad need to sustain themselves during the studies, or, at least have to contribute to the expenses their families have to afford.

But many questions arise as soon as a job opportunity comes to the horizon: can I work in Italy as a regular worker? Should I open a Partita IVA (VAT number)?

Can I work in Italy while studying?

How to earn some money.

The answer is yes, although there are some conditions for non-EU students with a residence permit for study.

As a foreign student, your student permit allows You to work only on a PART-TIME basis for a maximum of 1040 hours per year.

The part-time can be either “vertical” or “horizontal”; it means that You can work either 20 hours per week for 12 months or 40 hours per week for 6 months.

In any case You have to remember that, your work contract mustn't be a full time one and cannot exceed the duration of your student permit.

Do I need to open a Partita IVA to work as a self-employed person?

Rules for Lavoro Occasionale

Another question may arise: Do I need to open a Partita IVA to work as a self-employed person?

The answer is that You don’t need a Partita IVA if your job is not running regularly.

In this case, your job is regulated as “Temporary job” (lavoro occasionale).

You may have heard that You can work on a Temporary Job / lavoro occasionale only until € 5.000 per year. This is not true, because the 5.000€ ceiling has been canceled a few years ago, so now the only criteria to work without P.IVA is only “qualitative”.

You must remember, however, that when you exceed 4.800€  over the year, you must inform your Employer, that will pay your social security contribution on your behalf as "sostituto d'imposta".and transfer you the net amount.

Ask an expert

You can ask to a State-funded "Patronato" or professional service linked to a Patronato. to help you with paperwork and to access public administration systms.