If you are holding a valid study residence permit you are allowed to work in Italy for max. 20 hours per week (up to max.1040 hours per year).

During the time of your studies, we wish Milano appeal as working destination convinced you to settle in the city also as a young professional. After graduation, if you want to remain in Italy after the expiration of your study permit, you will need to convert it into a permit for employment or self-employment.

When should I apply?

  • Apply immediately after the publication of the annual “Decreto flussi” which determines the numbers work permits reserved to a certain category of applicants (“quotas” are normally released every year between December and February. Quotas are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis); or
  • Students already holding a BSc, MSc, PhD or post-graduate certificate issued by an Italian University are not subject to “Decreto Flussi” quotas. Therefore, if you hold an accredited Italian degree, you can apply at any time regardless of the quota limitation.

How should I apply?

Eligibility criteria

  • Holding a valid residence permit for study.
  • Being regularly enrolled at the City Registry as resident (certificate of residence or receipt of application with protocol number in a Municipality in the provinces of Milano or Monza and Brianza).
  • Holding a proof of job proposal (fill in online form Mod.V2 e Mod.VA); OR the proof of enrollment at professional registries/nulla osta for self-employment issued by the Chamber of Commerce; OR a not-subordinate contract of collaboration (fill in online form Mod.Z2 e Mod.Z). 
  • Proving your economic coverage (bank account deposit > 8,500.00 euro).

What if I need more time for job searching in Italy?

If you hold an accredited undergraduate/graduate degree, Ph.D., university “master”, first/second level academic degree, Higher Technical Institute diploma. You can register as unemployed on the ANPAL website and apply for a permit for the purpose of job searching or entrepreneurship (Permesso di soggiorno per ricerca lavoro o imprenditorialita‘ degli studenti). This kind of permit allows students to legally live in Italy after their graduation while searching for a job/start a business for max 1 year.


DID Dichiarazione di immediata disponibilità al lavoro is the declaration of immediate availability to find a job, made by an unemployed person or by a worker at risk of unemployment (fired person who is in the notice period) through the ANPAL portal (SPID or CIE required) or through the regional portals, where present, or in alternative to an employment center (CPI) or a patronage.

With this declaration the unemployment status of a person formally begins.

As for the DID 

If you are domiciled in Milano, you can write a request for an operator-assisted DID application directly to: centroimpiego.milano@afolmet.it

Fill in and sign this application form: Attach a scan of: ID / Passport (both sizes or the personal date and signature page of your passport), a scan of both sides of the residence permit (if applicable) and a scan of tax code card or tax code certificate,

An operator of the CPI (centro per l'impiego) of Milano will support you in the procedure online. 

Please note that requests are processed by the Milan CPI in 7/10 days.

In addition to the employment center, for submitting the personalized service agreement, it is possible to contact the network of accredited operators. Consult the list on the Lombardy Region website.