As the situation evolves under the ongoing outbreak, here are some of the latest news:


Please note that while we try to be as accurate as possible, the situation for travelling to Milano and Italy is constantly evolving, so stay tuned for the latest updates published on the websites of the Italian Ministry of Interiors Ministry of Foreign AffairsMinistry of Health. Milano ATS This webpage does not substitute official information released by government authorities.

Last update 06.04.2021

Travel to Italy

New rules apply for those traveling to Italy.

You can collect all the relevant information about your ability to travel to Italy and the requirements for entering our Country through a widget by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: click here for updated info on travelling to Italy 

See also the relevant page by the Ministry of Health

If you are unsure about requirements and obligations for returning to Italy, contact directly the Prefecture or competent Local Health Authority.

For travel from Italy to foreign countries, it is recommended to consult the Country profile on ViaggiareSicuri and also to contact the relevant Embassy or Consulate in Italy.

Students and visas

Students with an expired residence permit should be able to return to Italy with the expired permit and the receipt of the renewal request issued by the post office:
- without obtaining a re-entry visa in the case of a direct flight to Italy (without a stopover at another Schengen airport).
- with a re-entry visa, if the return flight involves a stopover in another Schengen country.
- if the flight involves a stopover in a non-Schengen airport, a re-entry visa may be required by the Country of the stopover.

If students have been more than six months outside Italy, they must apply for a re-entry visa. E.g.: if a student decides to follow the first semester online and decides to return for the second semester, a re-entry visa is required. Re-entry can take place within six months from the date of issue of the re-entry visa.

(Source: Ministry for Foreign Affairs)

Residence Permits

permessi di soggiorno

According to Law 159 del 27 novembre 2020, as modifyed by Law decree 14 January 2021, n. 2

The validity of residence permits expired between august 31st and December,31st of December are extended to April, 30th 2021 - according to Article 5 of Law Decree No. 23/2031.

This decree has only national validity, so if students have to go to Schengen area. they must have a valid residence permit.

For individual questions, inquire with Questura of Milano,


Appointments for the renewal of residence permits are regularly scheduled according to distancing and safety measures. 

Application Kits for application and renewal are available and can be submitted at Post offices. Be aware that waiting times for the procedure and the appointments may be longer than standard.

Since operations at post offices slow down for safety reasons, you can take an appointment / skip the queue ticket via the Ufficio Postale app.

If you have to apply for Residence Permit, you can do so after the self-isolation period.

Police stations will contact all holders of permits already issued and assigning an appointment for collection: you may, however, check anytime  if your permit is ready on the Police website

International students are receiving registered mail indicating a new appointment for the collection of the permit.

Among the documents to be attached for renewal of the permit: students can attach the certification of the exams taken also on plain paper (without signature and stamp) that can be printed by students from their University website student area.

Brexit: Travel & stay in Italy

The United Kingdom withdrew from the European Union on 31 January 2020.

What does this imply for UK students and professionals staying or coming to Milano: see our focus on Brexit

Medical information If you are in Milano


Passengers coming from countries subject to mandatory test who cannot exhibit a negative swab test certificate for COVID-19, as well as passengers coming from other foreign countries subject to mandatory quarantine, are required to register their arrival in Italy to the Department of prevention of the local health agency (Arrivals in Milano use this ONLINE FORM.*) Upon registration, you will get basic instructions on what to do and contacts for reaching out in case of necessity. and you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days.

Upon arrival, you are only allowed to go straight to your domicile identified as the place of health surveillance and fiduciary isolation in the shortest possible time. Use of public/shared transport is not permitted on this route, but car rentals and taxi rides are permitted.

See the relevant page on the ATS Milano website (in Italian) for details and updates.


*In case of problems with filling the form :

- If you don't have got an Italian tax code yet, fill in the tax code field with 'N/A' to proceed with the registration.

- Write to or call your General Practitioner if you are enrolled in the NHS, or get in touch with any GP in your area if you have an EHIC.

- Contact health authorities by writing to the ATS Health Surveillance office:

Your email message should contain:

  • Your personal details
  • Where you are arriving from
  • The address of the place where you will spend your quarantine
  • What means of transportation you used for your travel and to reach your final destination in Milan
  • Your phone number and email address

During the 14 days of quarantine

What to do:

  • Stay home and relax:) (it is a great opportunity for incoming students to face their paperwork, meet the welcome staff at their University, take a YesMilano One-Stop-Shop appointment)
  • Measure your body temperature twice a day - morning and evening.
  • If you share your apartment, all occupants must quarantine 14 days with you.
  • Limit as much as contacts with cohabitants: stay in different rooms, don't share personal objects, wear a mask whenever possible.
  • PCs, tablets and smartphones, and personal objects should not be shared.

Medical advice:

see above

Residence Permit:

If you have to submit your application for Residence Permit, you can do so by 8 days after the end of the self-isolation period

A useful guide to quarantine (courtesy of PoliMi)

Mask mandate

In the city, it is mandatory to maintain social distancing and always wear a mask, covering mouth and nose, except:

- while doing individual sports activities outdoors while staying at least 2 meters away from other people;
- while eating or drinking in public places, where and when this is allowed;
- when you are home alone or just with your cohabitants.

Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and water or alcohol-based products. Try to avoid touching eyes, mouth and nose.

See more info on the City of Milano regulations

Covid-19 Vaccination

Lombardy Region has launched the Covid vaccination campaign in the manner planned by the National Commissioner.

The vaccine will be offered free of charge and progressively to the entire population, gradually affecting the risk categories identified according to national and regional indications (over 80, schools, ...)

At the moment it is not possible to anticipate the modalities of access to vaccination.

Information about  the vaccination campaign against SARS-COV-2 is at this link (Italian)

If you got vaccinated in your country of origin: while waiting for instructions by the competent institutes  it is advisable to obtain and bring with you a vaccination certificate.

It is advisable and possible for all students to enroll in the National Health Service

Immuni tracking app

The app sends notifications to people who were in close contact with a user who has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, alerting them of the risk of infection. Thanks to Bluetooth Low Energy technology, this occures without the app gathering any personal data on the identity or location of users.

More info on Immuni website

Medical advice

If you have doubts, questions, or need medical advice on swabs and other forms of testing for Covid, and you have a European Health Insurance Card, get in contact with a General Practitioner (GP) in your area (Medico di Medicina Generale /MMG in Italian, you can consult this database)

If you are enrolled in the Italian National Health System/SSN (details on how to enroll as students here), refer to your assigned family doctor.

When GPs are off-duty and for all people that need medical advice or to enter Covid-19 surveillance without EHIC or SSN enrollment, call the after-hours Medical Assistance Continuity Service (116117) open from 8:00pm to 8:00am all days and 24h on holidays and days before holidays.

If you have symptoms that can be associated with Covid-19, call your doctor or the toll-free regional number 800894545.

ONLY if symptoms are severe and/or life-threatening, such as high fever and respiratory difficulty, call the emergency number 112 but don't show up independently in a hospital's ER. How to place an emergency call

Private Covid tests

Private diagnostic labs and hospitals do molecular swabs and serological testing for pay. We are not able to provide a full list of private medical operators in Lombardy, but we recommend you consult a doctor or your private medical insurance to verify whether you need to test and what kind meets your needs.

Also, if the test is required for travelling, consult with the airline or the competent Consulate.


The Minister of Health issued the Ordinance of 23 November 2020 , containing urgent measures for the experimentation of  "Covid-tested" flights .

Flights are considered "Covid-tested" flights for which passengers are allowed to board following an  obligatory rapid antigen test performed before boarding  or following the presentation of    certification  certifying the  negative result of a molecular test (RT-PCR ) or antigenic , carried out by means of a swab,  no later than 48 hours prior to boarding .

In the event of non-boarding on the "Covid-tested" flight, due to a positive COVID-19 result, the air carrier will refund the ticket or issue a voucher of the same amount upon the passenger's request, within fourteen days from the date of the withdrawal and valid for eighteen months from the issue.

For information on the actual operation of “Covid-tested”  flights on the routes for which testing is underway, it is necessary to contact the airlines directly .

More Administrative Updates:

Covid-19 refunds of lease payments for non-resident students

"Rimborsi canoni di locazione Covid-19"

The Lombardy region has announced the granting of an extraordinary reimbursement to non-resident public University students for the rent sums paid from 1 February 2020 to 31 December 2020, as long as they are in possession of a regularly registered contract for an apartment/room in the city (or province) where the public University is located for the same time period.

International students studying too are eligible for such reimbursement.

To find out specifically what are the requirements for making a refund application and how to obtain a refund, please contact your academic institution directly.

Below are links containing details about the refund process published by some Milanese public universities /academies on their websites.

Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca.

Università degli Studi di Milano.

Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera.

Politecnico di Milano.



Tax Code & Revenue Agency operations

The territorial branches of the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate) Branches can be reached through e-mail, as they operate in distance working mode. Many operations can be made online through simplified procedures.

Getting the Tax Code /Codice Fiscale is possible by sending an email to your nearest Revenue Agency Office (see which Ufficio Territoriale is closest to you of the six available in Milano).

For all incoming students who are still in their home country, unless the University can provide it for you, the Tax Code has to be requested at the nearest Italian Consulate. The same procedure applies to foreign professionals.

When in Italy, the Codice Fiscale can be requested to the nearest Revenue Agency office.

Students can get full assistance on the Fiscal Code Number in their One-Stop-Shop appointment.

Public Health System

If you have to apply for your first Voluntary registration, or register with your S1 form, you have to take an in-person appointment.

See this article for the step-by-step procedures for enrolling to the National Health System depending on your nationality and situation.

For other requests, such as renewals, change of doctor, duplicates of the health card, this web portal that has to be used .


The Registry Offices

If you need to request your ID card, or request your residence, you have to do that through the Milano registry offices.

Residenza can be applied for completely online.

They are reopening their offices by appointment only read more here.or consult with the YesMilano Students One-Stop-Shop.

More Help And Questions?

Take an online one-to-one appointment

Remember that the One-stop-Shop is available for all International Students in Milano for a one- to- one appointment.

Sign up or log in and go to to get an appointment.