You can voluntarily enroll in the SSN and benefit from its services, by paying a (relatively inexpensive) fee, or "contribution".
Enrolment in SSN entitles you to have a general practitioner and benefit from public healthcare services (on the Italian territory only).
The voluntary registration (registrazione volontaria) validity period always starts on 1/1 and expires on 31/12 of the current solar year, no matter when you enroll.
For students without dependents, the cost is €149.77 per solar year.
For students with dependent family members*, the minimum contribution is €387.34 per solar year.
The contribution must be paid in one single payment.
It is never retroactive nor fractionable (that means: they are not taking charge of any event before the date of enrolment and that you can't enroll for a part of the solar year only).
This is the step-by-step procedure for voluntary enrolment in public health service:
- Find the ASST office ("Azienda Socio Sanitaria Territoriale" - it is the administrative entity that manages local health services) competent in the area where you reside. Areas of competence are based on the "Municipi" (Municipi are the smaller administrative zones of Milano, often shown with a number).
Try to find out in which "Municipio" you live: ask your landlord, a neighbor, or any shop owner nearby... or look up to this map. Then you may take an appointment in person at "Scelta e Revoca" office - the department in charge of assigning and changing General Practictioners to citizens and to enroll new users.
A central "Scelta e Revoca" office in via Rugabella has been made available for residents in the municipality of Milano. Take an appointment online on THIS PLATFORM
- Go to the post office, get and fill in a blank "Bollettino Postale" payment form. The contribution must be paid on the postal account 379222, in the name of (a favore di:) "P.T. REGIONE LOMBARDIA", reason for the payment (causale): “iscrizione al SSN anno…[write the year of coverage] See our pdf guide for an example of how to fill in the postal payment slip.
- Download the application form above (English Language, printouts are also available at the Scelta e Revoca counter) and fill it in with your personal data:
If you are a student on your own, fill it in until LUMP SUM PAYMENT: € 149,77 and skip to date and signature.
If you wish to register with dependant family members fill in also the second part of the form about family members and income declaration. (If in doubt, ask the Scelta e Revoca staff for instructions)
- On your appointment
- Students from European Union countries, the European Economic Area, and from Switzerland that apply voluntarily:
- Students from non-European countries already in possession of a residence permit for study:
- Bring with you: application form, passport, residence permit, tax code (in original and one photocopy), certificate of enrollment in a course of study, and receipt of payment of the contribution.
- Students from non-European countries in possession of the application receipt for a residence permit for study only (some limitations apply*):
- you will need to bring: your passport, tax code, entry visa for study reasons, the receipt/attestation of having applied for a residence permit (all in original, plus one photocopy), certificate of enrollment in a course of study (issued by your university /institute), receipt of payment of the contribution
- *Please note: for students without an issued residence permit it is not possible to register any dependents.
- *The voluntary registration is issued valid for 3 months and it can be extended by providing te same documentation (via e-mail) to the Scelta e Revoca office, until obtaining the residence permit for study.
Once in possession of the actual residence permit, you may send to the Scelta e Revoca office a scan of the residence permit and the documentation and have it registered: the deadline of your coverage, then, will be set to 31 December of the current year.
- The officer will also assist you to choose a local general practitioner in your area from a list You can also bring with you a shortlist odf some GPs in your area. Please consider that GPs who have reached the maximum number of patients might not be available to choose.
- As a result of the registration process, the officer will give you a paper document which must be shown as a health card at the time to request any health service.
Students from non-European countries with a bilateral agreement with Italy:
In general, bilateral social security agreements guarantee only urgent services for temporary stays except for pensioners and posted workers. Therefore it is advisable to register voluntarily with the methods specified above.
The voluntary registration with the SSN always expires on 31/12 of the current year, it is never retroactive nor fractionable and entitles the general practitioner and health services only on the Italian territory.
For technical reasons, first-time applications must be done after the 1st of January of the year in which you want to enroll.
The voluntary registration with the SSN does not entitle you to:
a. Issue of the European Health Insurance Card (TEAM)
b. Issuing of legal certificates required by bilateral agreements in force
c. Issue of the certificate according to art. 15 of Presidential Decree 618/80
d. Issue of portable document S2 (high specialization care abroad)
We wish to thank the ASST office: Dipartimento Cure Primarie - UOSD Governo dell'Assistenza Indiretta e tutela del Cittadino for the information given.