Here are some of the latest news focused on COVID-19 including how to book your second booster dose for COVID-19 and Omicron variants

Please note stay tuned for the latest updates published on the websites of the Italian Ministry of Interiors, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Health, Milano ATS. This webpage does not substitute official information released by government authorities.

Last update October 2022

How can I book my Covid-19 Vaccination Booster in Milano?

The first or second booster shot of the Covid vaccine (aka 3rd or 4th Dose) is available for free to all people over the age of 12. It can be taken after a minimum of 120 days (4 months) from the day of the last vaccine dose or from the last Covid infection (counting from the date when the diagnostic test was first positive). 
Remember to bring your passport or ID, the previous vaccination certificates, and test proofs if needed.

You can enlist for the 4th or 3rd dose COVID-19 vaccine that also protects from recent variants of the virus, or if you have never been vaccinated you can register for your first free cycle of vaccination, by doing the following procedure*:

  1. On the booking platform.
  2. Go to the section Quarta Dose (4th Dose) or Terza Dose (3rd Dose) and then Cittadini over 12
  3. Click on the button: Prenota il vaccino;
  4. Click on the link in the second paragraph Straniero in possesso del codice STP, di un Codice Fiscale italiano… etc.
  5. Fill out the form, select Straniero in possesso del codice STP, di un Codice Fiscale italiano, and type your tax code (codice fiscale)
  6. if you already had a vaccination in Italy, you will be prompted to review your personal details and Italian cell phone number.
  7. if it’s the first time you vaccinate in Italy, you’ll be redirected to another page where you can request to be enlisted in vaccination 
  8. Wait for SMS verification. Type the number you get via SMS in the confirmation field and submit.
  9. You will be prompted with a confirmation message and entered into the Lombardy Region vaccination database by 24/48 hours
  10. They will send you an SMS in 24-48 hours, after which duration you can start doing the following passages;
  11. Repeat step 1
  12. This time click on the link at the endo of the first paragraph: Se sei un cittadino italiano iscritto all’A.I.R.E., un cittadino straniero, se fai parte del personale navigante (SASN), o rientri in una delle categorie indicate nell’Ordinanza n.7/2021 del Commissario straordinario per l’emergenza COVID-19 del 24 aprile 2021 (Personale Diplomatico, Personale di enti ed organizzazioni Internazionali), puoi gestire l’appuntamento al seguente link;
  13. Complete the form, selecting the category Cittadino straniero con codice fiscale/univoco, provide the region where you wish to get your vaccine (Lombardia), province (Milano) and city (Milano) and the postal zip code of your area, then choose your option from a selection of places and time slots for your vaccination;
  14. You will get a confirmation message and a QR code that you can screenshot or print out.
  15. A confirmation SMS will be sent to your phone number;
  16. And you’re done: ready for going to your appointment at a vaccination center!

*we would like to thank Lazzat, as student from Bocconi University, for his help;


  • In the unlikely case that you’re a student and don't have a tax code: get one ASAP. 
  • In case of need, call the number 800 894545, select 1 and then 3 to get enabled for booking your vaccine with the help of an operator.

Can I Travel to/from Italy? What are the requirements?

A useful assessment tool for you travel to/from Italy.

You can collect all the relevant information about your ability to travel to Italy and the requirements for entering the Country through a widget created by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: click here for updated info on travelling to Italy 

If you are unsure about requirements and obligations for returning to Italy, contact directly the Italian Consulate of your area, the airline company, and the authorities of your country.

For travel from Italy to foreign countries, it is recommended to consult the Country profile on ViaggiareSicuri and also to contact the relevant Embassy or Consulate in Italy.

I was vaccinated with Sinovac, Sputnik V and other vaccines out of EMA list. What can I do for the Green Pass?

According to the Ministry of Health (see the relevant circular), citizens vaccinated abroad with a complete vaccination course not authorized by the European Medical Authority (EMA) may receive a booster dose with mRNA vaccine starting from 28 days and up to a maximum of 6 months (180 days) from the date of their last dose of the first cycle of vaccination.

Walk-in any vaccination center in Milano with ID, tax code, vaccination certificate (see below).

You'll be asked for an Italian cell phone number and e-mail.

The completion of this integrated vaccination course is approved for getting the Green Pass.

If over 6 months have passed from the completion of the first course of vaccination with vaccines not authorized by EMA, as well as in case of incomplete vaccination course, it is possible to get a complete primary vaccination cycle with m-RNA vaccine. See the relevant paragraph.

For further information refer to the Lombardy Region Covid-19 Vaccination booking platform 

If you have to travel to Italy, make sure you get a vaccination certificate issued by your government or health authority. It must contain at least the following:

  • identification data of the owner (name, surname, date of birth);
  • data relating to the vaccine (name and lot);
  • date(s) of administration of the vaccine;
  • identification data of the issuer of the certificate (State, Health Authority).

As recommended the Vaccination certifications are already accepted, it is advisable to obtain yours in at least one of the following languages:

  • Italian;
  • English;
  • French;
  • Spanish.

What is the Super Green pass?

After 180 days from the 2nd dose of vaccine, the green pass expires.

When you take a booster dose you get a green pass with no expiration date.

Those who are either fully vaccinated or healed from Covid-19 will get a so-called reinforced Green Pass to access:
◾Live Shows
◾Sports events
◾Indoor dining
◾ Parties and discos
◾Public ceremonies

What can I do during self-isolation?

What to do:

  • Stay home and relax :) (it is a great opportunity for incoming students to face their paperwork, meet the welcome staff at their University, take a YesMilano One-Stop-Shop appointment)
  • Measure your body temperature twice a day - morning and evening.
  • If you share your apartment, all occupants must self-isolate with you (the count of the days starts from the last who arrives).
  • Limit as much as possible contacts with cohabitants: stay in different rooms, don't share personal objects, wear a mask in common spaces whenever possible.
  • PCs, tablets and smartphones, and personal objects should not be shared.

Medical advice:

see below


Residence Permit:

If you have to submit your application for Residence Permit, you can do so by 8 days after the end of the self-isolation period

I come from outside the EU and I am vaccinated. Can I provide certification equivalent to the Green Pass?

Types of certificates of vaccination / healing certificates equivalent to the Green Pass

According to the Ministry of Health circular letter, if you are not EU citizen and got your vaccine in your home country you can use a vaccination certificate issued by your State or local health authority. It must contain at least the following:

  • identification data of the owner (name, surname, date of birth);
  • data relating to the vaccine (name and lot);
  • date(s) of administration of the vaccine;
  • identification data of the issuer of the certificate (State, Health Authority).

Vaccination certifications, in paper and/or digital format, must be drawn up in at least one of the following languages:

  • Italian;
  • English;
  • French;
  • Spanish.

If the certificate was not issued in one of the four languages ​​indicated, it is necessary to have a sworn translation attached to it.

The validity of vaccination certificates is the same as for the COVID-19 green certification (EU digital COVID certificate) issued by the Italian state.


For the above uses, the vaccines currently accepted in Italy and authorized by EMA are:

  • Comirnaty (Pfizer-BioNtech);
  • Spikevax (Moderna);
  • Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca);
  • Janssen (Johnson & Johnson);
  • Covishield (Serum Institute of India)*;
  • R-CoVI (R-Pharm)*;
  • Covid-19 vaccine-recombinant (Fiocruz)*.

*see Italian Ministry’s Circolare of 23-09-2021


Healing certificates must contain at least the following:

  • identification data of the owner (name, surname, date of birth);
  • information on the holder's previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, (including date of the first positive swab);
  • identification data of the person who issued the certificate (State, Health Authority).

All healing certifications, in paper and/or digital format, must be accompanied by a sworn translation into Italian.

The validity of the healing certificates is equivalent to the green pass (EU digital COVID certificate) issued by the Italian government.

You can also submit your documentation to get your Green Pass (see next paragraph).

How can I get the Green Pass? I am not registered with the Italian Public Healthcare but I got vaccinated in Italy

If you are not registered with the SSN but got vaccinated in Italy, you can get the Green Pass through a dedicated webpage.

Choose Non hai la tessera sanitaria e sei vaccinato in Italia - Enter the tax code or identifier assigned to access the vaccination and the date of the last dose - solve the Captcha.


(Source: Certificazione verde COVID-19EU - Digital COVID certificate)

I got vaccinated / healed from Covid-19 abroad. How can I submit documentation for the green pass?

Go on the ATS website and learn how to get the green pass if you were vaccinated in Italy (see also the paragraph below).

If were vaccinated outside Italy, you will click on the link at the bottom of the page:

No, ho verificato quanto sopra, MA NON ho trovato la soluzione (clicca qui per inserire i dati e chiedere supporto alla ATS)

Select one of the options:

  • Ho fatto 2 dosi di vaccini / I did two doses of vaccine;
  • Ho fatto una dose di vaccino entro un anno dalla guarigione / I got one dose of vaccine within one year from healing;
  • Ho fatto una dose di vaccino e dopo mi sono ammalato di COVID / I got one dose of vaccine and got Covid afterwards;
  • Sono guarito da meno di 6 mesi / I healed from Covid-19 less than 6 months ago.

You will be redirected to a form. The form is interactive and will require different data according to what you declare.

Fill it in with your personal details, contacts and details on your situation and upload ID and certifications when required.

TIP: make sure you scan in a single .pdf file your ID and the certificate you are providing

Your applications will be examined case-by-case and you will receive a response or request for more details via e-mail or cell phone.


Source: ASST

Medical information If you are in Milano

Medical advice (including for Covid-19 related symptoms)

If you need medical advice and have a European Health Insurance Card, get in contact with a General Practitioner (GP) in your area (Medico di Medicina Generale /MMG convenzionato SSN in Italian, you can consult this database)

If you are enrolled in the Italian National Health System/SSN (details on how to enroll as students here), refer to your assigned family doctor.

If you have symptoms that can be associated with Covid-19, call your doctor or the toll-free regional number 800894545.

When GPs are off-duty and for all people that need medical advice or to enter Covid-19 surveillance even without EHIC or SSN enrollment, call the after-hours Medical Assistance Continuity Service (dial 116117) open from 8:00pm to 8:00am all days and 24h on holidays and days before holidays. The answering voice menu is in Italian: press number 1 ("continuità assistenziale") and hold on until the triage operator answers. English-speaking personnel is available.

ONLY if symptoms are severe and/or life-threatening, such as high fever and respiratory difficulty, call the emergency number 112 but don't show up independently in a hospital's ER. Read our guide on How to place a 112 emergency call

Mask mandate in Milano and other rules

See our dedicated page

In Milano, it is recommended but not compulsory to social distance and wear an FFP2 mask in indoor spaces (surgical masks also reduce the risk of infection).

Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and water or alcohol-based gel.

See our page for rules in force in the City of Milano

Private Covid tests

Private diagnostic labs, hospitals and pharmacies offer molecular swabs and serological tests a market prices. We cannot provide a full list of private medical providers in Lombardy, but we recommend you consult your doctor, pharmacist or private medical insurance to verify whether you need to test for Covid and which type meets your needs.

Also, if the Covid test is required for travelling, consult with the airline or the competent Consulate.

More Help And Questions?

Take an online one-to-one appointment

Remember that the One-stop-Shop is available for all International Students in Milano for a one- to- one appointment.

Sign up or log in and go to to get an appointment.