TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER - CODICE FISCALE (obtained in Milano)
The Tax identification number, in Italian "Codice Fiscale", is a 16-character alphanumeric tax code specific to an individual. It is required for many purposes in Italy, including signing a lease, opening a bank account, purchasing or renting a car or scooter, signing a utilities contract, etc.
- Many universities in Milan have a cooperative arrangement with the Italian Revenue Agency (“Agenzia delle Entrate”), which issues the Tax identification number - Codice Fiscale, to provide you with the Codice Fiscale without you having to undertake a separate application process. Please consult your welcome materials or a university representative to see if your university will obtain the Codice Fiscale on your behalf.
- Otherwise, you will be able to request and obtain the Tax identification number - Codice Fiscale directly from the offices of the Agenzia delle Entrate (for the location and contact information of the office of the Agenzia delle Entrate nearest you, please search for your address here). Alternatively, you may get it while you are at your appointment at the Questura in connection with your application for the Permesso di Soggiorno.
- You will be provided with your Codice Fiscale at the time of your application.
- Valid national ID document (such as a Passport).
- Two copies from your Passport or valid national ID document of your Student Visa and personal data page.
- Permesso di Soggiorno OR receipt for Post Office application for Permesso di Soggiorno.
- Completed application form (may also be obtained at Questura or offices of Agenzia delle Entrate).
Cost of Codice Fiscale:
- There is no cost associated with the Codice Fiscale.
- There is no expiration date for the Codice Fiscale.