Have you been enrolled in the The Italian National Health Service (SSN, Servizio Sanitario Nazionale) and enjoyed largely free health care, including general practitioner's visits and emergency care?

Do you need to renew your NHS membership for the next year? 

Let's see that together!


We wish to thank the ASST office:  Dipartimento Cure Primarie - UOSD Governo dell'Assistenza Indiretta e tutela del Cittadino for the information given.

EU Students from European Union countries, the European Economic Area and from Switzerland

S! Form and EHIC

Students from European Union countries, the European Economic Area, and Switzerland:

- if you temporarily transferred your health coverage to take advantage of Italian public healthcare like an Italian citizen, including a local general practitioner, by providing the S1 Form from your country of origin: enrolment in the SSN is valid for one year from the date of application. Should you stay longer, you can follow the same procedure to renew the enrolment until the expiration date stated on the S1 form. S1 coverage allows you to provide proof of health coverage for Residence registration

Keep using EHIC

- EHIC is initially meant for traveling (e.g.if you stay in Italy for less than 3 months): there are no formalities to take advantage of health services in the Lombardy region: in case you need a visit or to go to the hospital, show a valid ID, and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC / TEAM) of the State of origin. Unfortunately, many countries have their S1 policies. The temporary nature of EHIC doesn't allow it to be a valid proof of health coverage for permanent Residence but it is accepted for the Declaration of Temporary Residence in Milano  (up to 12 months) registration

Please note: if you need planned health treatment, e.g. for chronic disease, you need to ask your local authority for an S2 form - Authorisation to obtain planned treatment abroad.

How to renew your Voluntary membership ONLINE

Non-EU and EU Students

You can now renew your enrollment into the Italian Sistema Sanitario Nazionale ( NHS) online here

  • When you open the platform, click on “PROSEGUI” on the bottom right.
  • Select “Rinnovo al Servizio Sanitario Regionale - Studenti Stranieri”.
  • The form will ask you whether you have a valid resident permit or are an EU student or your residence permit is pending renewal
  • Select the relevant option for you, then click on “APRI RICHIESTA”.”.
  • Fill in with your personal information
  1. Nome: your name
  2. Cognome: your last name
  3. Codice fiscale: tax code
  4. Sesso: sex
  5. Luogo di nascita: place of birth, the country in which you were born
  6. Data di nascita: date of birth
  7. Nazionalità: nationality
  8. Domicilio / residenza estera: your domicile abroad
  9. Via di Domicilio / Residenza: street name (The street name must be searched in the database by typing the MOST RELEVANT word. Click on the right option.)
  10. Civico: street number
  11. Email and confirmation of your email
  12. Place your Italian phone number in “Cellulare” and click on “INVIAMI SMS CODICE DI CONFERMA”. You’ll receive a message on your phone with a code that you’re going to put in the following field: “Inserisci Codice di Conferma ricevuto via SMS”.
  • In the following part of the form, you'll be asked to upload these documents (make a good pdf scan of each, front and back if applicable):
  1. If you have your permit of stay /residence permit card already, please upload a scan of it. If not, you’ll be asked to upload a scan of your visa. EU and other students non subject to residence permit, should upload their ID or Passport scan.
  2. A scan of your Tax Code certificate or Tax Code card 
  3. Certificate of enrolment into your university
  4. The receipt of payment
  5. Self-certification of your domicile in Milano
  • Choose three preferred doctors and place their name and last name in “Inserisci Nome e Cognome del Medico”.
  • You can use as the first choice the past year's doctor but always provide a second or third choice.
  • By clicking on “CLICCA QUI PER CONSULTARE L’ELENCO MEDICI DAL SITO ATS MILANO” you’ll be able to see which doctors are available in your area.
  • Accept the privacy policy and click on “INVIA PRATICA” to submit your application.

The One Stop Shop is happy to help and see this process together or any questions you might have. Book an appointment here or a follow up via e-mail welcomestudents@yesmilano.it

Contribution for In-person Voluntary Registration

You can voluntarily enroll in the SSN and benefit from its services, by paying a (relatively inexpensive) fee, or "contribution".

Enrolment in SSN entitles you to have a general practitioner and benefit from public healthcare services (on the Italian territory only).

The voluntary registration (registrazione volontaria) validity period always starts on 1/1 and expires on 31/12 of the current solar year, no matter when you enroll.

For students without dependents, the cost is €149.77 per solar year.
For students with dependent family members*, Clergy, Doctorates, or Researchers who are no longer students, the minimum contribution is €387.34 per solar year. 

The contribution must be paid in one single payment.

It is never retroactive nor fractionable (that means: they are not taking charge of any event before the date of enrolment and that you can't enroll for a part of the solar year only).

  1. Go to the post office, get and fill in a blank "Bollettino Postale" payment form. The contribution must be paid on the postal account 379222, in the name of (a favore di:) "P.T. REGIONE LOMBARDIA", reason for the payment (causale): “iscrizione al SSN anno…[write the year of coverage]
  2. (See our .pdf SLIDES attached to this article for an example of how to fill in the postal payment slip.)


Please note:

Students from non-European countries with a bilateral agreement with Italy:

In general, bilateral social security agreements guarantee only urgent services for temporary stays except for pensioners and posted workers. Therefore it is advisable to register voluntarily with the methods specified above.

The voluntary registration with the SSN always expires on 31/12 of the current year, it is never retroactive nor fractionable and entitles the general practitioner and health services only on the Italian territory

For technical reasons, first-time applications must be done after the 1st of January of the year in which you want to enroll.

The voluntary registration with the SSN does not entitle you to:

a. Issue of the European Health Insurance Card (TEAM) 
b. Issuing of legal certificates required by bilateral agreements in force
c. Issue of the certificate according to art. 15 of Presidential Decree 618/80
d. Issue of portable document S2 (high specialization care abroad)

Pay at the Post office step by step

This is the step-by-step procedure for voluntary enrolment in public health service:

  1. Get a ticket in advance by signing up on the Ufficio Postale app, go to an ufficio postale and check in with the qr code at the machine at the entrance. Your call number will be put on the waiting list.

  2. In the Ufficio postale you will find blank payment slips (usually at the info desk or at the tables inside the waiting area)

  3. Fill in the  "Bollettino Postale" payment form. The contribution must be paid on the postal account 379222, in the name of (a favore di:) "P.T. REGIONE LOMBARDIA", reason for the payment (causale): “iscrizione al SSN anno…[write the year of coverage e. g. 2022] 
    (See our .pdf SLIDES attached to this article for an example of how to fill in the postal payment slip.)

  4. Write also your personal data and go to the counter to pay, in cash or bank cards. You will get half of the payment slip, stamped by the post office, as a receipt of payment.

TIP: Update Revenue Agency records

especially 'tax domicile" before going to the appointment

Since 'Scelta e Revoca' officers pick up your domicile data (address) from the revenue office tax code database.

Many students, who have got their tax code from the Consular office or through their university, need to update this record.

It is fundamental that you update the address "tax domicile" on tax records and that the address you give on the enrolment form and the address on your tax records are the same.

You can do so by using this form as "change of data and providing the new 'tax domicile' - your address in Milano. Submit the form via e-mail along with a copy of your ID to the nearest Revenue Agency branch ("Ufficio Territoriale") by stating that you need an update of your tax domicle to allow your enrollment in NHS / SSN

For one-to-one support, please take an appointment at the One-Stop-Shop

What if I am a researcher?

Renew in-person on an appointment

Those, both EU and non-EU citizens, who are enrolled in an academic year for a research doctorate, and don't have dependent family members, are entitled to voluntary enrollment by paying the flat-rate contribution as students (see above).

Those researchers, both EU and non-EU, who are holders of research grants, postdoctoral scholarships and have signed with a University or research institution registered with M.I.U.R. a contract of self-employment, subordinate or research training scholarship (contratto di lavoro  autonomo / subordinato, borsa di addestramento di ricerca), even if they pay INPS contributions, are entitled to voluntary registration, paying the contribution, calculated on income received (7.50% up to € 20,658.27 + 4% on the remaining € 30,987.41 up to a maximum of € 51,646). 

Refer via e-mail to any Ufficio Scelta e Revoca for the calculation of the right amount or ask the One-Stop-Shop

What id I graduated and got a residence permit "in attesa occupazione"?

If the holder of a residence permit for "job search" is "unemployed", the Ministry of Heath has indicated that the person must be registered with the SSN voluntarily by paying a contribution proportional to the income of the previous year (see above) and, in the case of income equal to zero, the contribution will be € 387.34.

FAQ: Is my Italian Voluntary Membership valid in other EU countries?

No, it is not.

The voluntary membership is valid all over the Italian territory only. 

If you travel or have a course in another EU country, you should get additional coverage, e.g. good travel insurance. 


Book an in-person appointment

Appointment platforms for booking an appointment at Scelta e Revoca Offices

This is only for non-students, students with dependant family members,  exceptional cases

Via A. Doria, 52:https://prenota.zerocoda.it then advanced search and type "Doria"

Piazzale Accursio, 7:https://prenota.zerocoda.it then advanced search and type "Accursio"

Via Serlio, 8:https://prenota.zerocoda.it then advanced search and type "Serlio"

  • On the platform, select Scelta/Revoca and Milano Metropolitana
  • Choose one of the available offices in Milano city only (the first available date is visible )
  • Choose a time slot.
  • Fill in the form or the right with your name, surname, tax code, e-mail, and mobile number and confirm.
  • You will get a confirmation and call number
  • Just go in person to the office on the day and hour of your appointment, 5 minutes in advance of your scheduled time 
  • check-in (if required) and wait for your number to be called, then go to the counter. (see above the documents you may need to bring)

Via Rugabella 4/6:https://saltacoda.asst-fbf-sacco.it/booking/ 

P.zza Bande Nere, 3:https://prenotazioni.asst-santipaolocarlo.it/booking/

  • Skip the warning in Italian that says that you can only use the appointment form for your first enrollment appointment
  • Click on Scelta e Revoca
  • Choose a suitable (marked in green) date on the calendar
  • Choose a time slot. Use the blue arrows to browse through more time slots.
  • Fill in the form or the right with your e-mail, and mobile number, select the privacy consent, and confirm.
  • You will get a confirmation and call number
  • Just go in person to the office on the day and hour of your appointment, 5 minutes in advance of your scheduled time 
  • check in (if required) and wait for your number to be called, then go to the counter. (see above the documents you may need to bring)


  1. Download the application form above (English Language, printouts are also available at the Scelta e Revoca counter) and fill it in with your data: 
    If you are a student on your own, fill it in until LUMP SUM PAYMENT: € 149,77 and skip to date and signature.
    If you wish to register with dependant family members fill in also the second part of the form about family members and income declaration. (If in doubt, ask the Scelta e Revoca staff for instructions)
  2. On your appointment
    • Students from European Union countries, the European Economic Area, and from Switzerland that apply voluntarily:
      • Bring with you an : application form, tax code, valid identity document (both in original plus one photocopy) and a self-certification of residence/domicile, and receipt of payment of the contribution.
    • Students from non-European countries already in possession of a residence permit for study:
      • Bring with you : an application form, passport, residence permit, tax code (in original and one photocopy), certificate of enrollment in a course of study, and receipt of payment of the contribution.
    • Students from non-European countries in possession of the application receipt for a residence permit for study only (some limitations apply*):
      • you will need to bring: your passport, tax code, entry visa for study reasons, the receipt/attestation of having applied for a residence permit (all in original, plus one photocopy), certificate of enrollment in a course of study (issued by your university /institute), receipt of payment of the contribution
      • *Please note: for students without an issued residence permit it is not possible to register any dependents.
      • *The voluntary registration is issued and valid for 3 months and it can be extended by providing the same documentation (via e-mail) to the Scelta e Revoca office, until obtaining the residence permit for study. 
        Once in possession of the actual residence permit, you may send to the Scelta e Revoca office a scan of the residence permit and the documentation and have it registered: the deadline for your coverage, then, will be set to 31 December of the current year.
  3. The officer will also assist you to choose a local general practitioner in your area from a list You can also bring with you a shortlist of some GPs in your area. Please consider that GPs who have reached the maximum number of patients might not be available to choo from.
  4. As a result of the registration process, the officer will give you a paper document which must be shown as a health card at the time to request any health service.

I am an Italian citizen from abroad, how can I enroll in the NHS?

Usually, if you or your family did not pay contributions in Italy, you can have access to the voluntary membership for students (see above)



You may also like