Student Visa (Visto) and Residence Permit (Permesso di soggiorno)


As a citizen of an EU country, you do not need a student visa (Visto per Motivi di Studio) to enter Italy or a Residence Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno). You can travel to Italy with your valid national ID card or Passport.

All EU citizens living in an EU member State different from their country of residence for over 90 days are requested to register as temporary resident.



Duration of stay in Italy: more than 90 days

You must apply for your student visa before your arrival and for your permesso di soggiorno within eight working days after your arrival in Milano.


For a complete information about student visas and residence permits, download our student booklet. 

See here updated administrative procedures under the current circumstances 


You may also like