Milano, at the crossroad of the national and European railway system, can be reached from the main Italian cities via high-speed trains (the Frecce of Trenitalia and ItaloTreno) and Intercity trains. It is also an important crossroad for regional connections.
The main stations are:
- Stazione Centrale FS - piazza Duca d’Aosta connection with underground lines M2 M3 where the main trains traveling abroad are also departing from. At the Stazione Centrale there is a luggage storage, as well as several services and a big shopping area
- Stazione Porta Garibaldi FS - piazza S. Freud - connection with underground lines M2 and M5
- Stazione Cadorna FN - piazzale Cadorna - piazzale Cadorna connection with underground lines M2 and M1
- Stazione Rogoredo FS - Via Cassinis - connection with underground line M3
Departure times and ticket purchase:
Lines of the so-called Passante Ferroviario named S: almost entirely underground, similar to a metro system, cross the city from North-West (Certosa and Bovisa) to South-East (Rogoredo and Forlanini).
Inside Milano’s urban area ATM local transport tickets and railway tickets are valid. Here are some of the main destinations that can be reached via the suburban lines of the Passante:
- city centre, stop Porta Venezia, connection with underground line M1 and Cadorna, connections with underground lines M1 and M2
- Stazione Centrale FS, stop Repubblica, connection with underground line M3
- University Campus, stop Bovisa Politecnico
- Fieramilano, stop Rho Fieramilano
Other stations and departure times: