The S1 form is a joint document for all European Union, European Economic Area countries and Switzerland Confederation that confirms the rights of citizens to receive state-funded healthcare services to the same extent that it has secured the country's population. This form can be obtained in cases when:
· if a person pursues an activity as an employed or self-employed person in Latvia but resides in another Member State;
· unemployed person wishing to go to another Member State in search of work and holding a valid U2 form “Retention of entitlement to unemployment benefits”;
· posted worker (including self-employed person) - if the person works for a Latvian employer or is self-employed, but is temporarily posted to perform his / her job duties in another Member State;
· if a person receives a pension from the Republic of Latvia but resides in another Member State;
· a family member (spouse; person under guardianship or trusteeship) who is employed or self-employed in Latvia or a pension recipient who is dependent on this person.
However, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is a document which certifies that a person is a resident of an EU, EEA Member State or Switzerland and is insured in his / her own country. When staying temporarily in another Member State, the EHIC shall certify the right to receive the necessary or urgent medical care in the same amount as it provides to the population of that State.
Emergency and necessary medical care is provided by medical institutions and doctors providing state-guaranteed health care services in the respective country. The extent and nature of this condition will be assessed by the attending physician in each situation, considering the individual's state of health and expected length of stay. Before receiving a health care service, you must check with your health care provider or doctor to determine whether the EHIC will be accepted at that institution.
Opportunities for receiving the EHIC:
● By post, by filling in an electronic form on www.eveseliba.gov.lv or www.latvija.lv
Log in to the EHealth Portal at www.eveseliba.gov.lv (section Citizen / Family doctor and EHIC / My EHIC) and fill out the application form or use the www.latvija.lv e-service Apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC will be sent by mail to the address indicated in the application.
● By post, including the application form by post
By filling in and signing the application form, which must be sent in an envelope to the National Health Service. The EHIC will be sent by mail to the address indicated in the application. Application form in English will be attached to this e-mail.
● By post, using the “e-signature” application form
By electronically filling in the application form and signing it with a secure electronic signature, which should be sent to email@example.com . The EHIC will be sent by mail to the address indicated in the application. More about applying "e-signature" - www.eparaksts.lv .
For more information You can call the NHS free customer service phone number 8000 1234 or 67045005 (working hours: Monday to Thursday from 8.30 to 17.00, but on Fridays from 8.30 until 15.00).
Source: Nacionālais veselības dienests