Created thirty years after the death of the architect after which it is named, the Albini foundation has been awarded recognition as forming part of the national historical heritage. It comprises over 20,000 drawings, an enormous photographic archive (6,000 images and 2,500 slides), letters, writings, models, and important design pieces.
The foundation dedicates considerable resources to promoting events and publications, organizing exhibitions, converting the archive into digital format, and creating a virtual museum so that some of the works by one of the most important Rationalist architects and designers can be visited in 3D.
Albini studied with Gio Ponti, and taught Vittorio Gregotti and Renzo Piano.
There are some famous design pieces, including the radio made in crystal glass, the Brionvega Orion television (1961-1962), the Mitragliera lamp (1938), and the Luisa chair (1955 Compasso d'oro prize).
ANECDOTES AND CURIOSITIES
Albini often said to his colleagues and friends, without any form of rhetoric, that he found constant inspiration in the tensions existing within society. He expressed them through an almost obsessive attention to detail, along with his desire to combine rational thought and creative imagination, originality and seriality.
All these aspects can be seen in all his artworks: from the layouts designed for important exhibitions, to the creation of design objects that are now considered part of art history, to the realization of important public works such as Milano subway, for which there is documentation at the Foundation.
The many activities performed by the Albini Foundation include the issue of certificates of authenticity for designer pieces currently on the market.