Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore

An enormous cupola and 16 Roman marble columns for a magnificent early Christian church

Corso di Porta Ticinese 35

The magnificent early Christian Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore, completed before the end of the 5th century retains every bit of its original monumental splendour, despite several restorations over the centuries.
Its enormous cupola, attributable to the design talents of Martino Bassi, collapsed in 1573 and was rebuilt by Bassi and completed by Quadrio during the era of Federigo Borromeo.

The basilica’s grandiosity and richness, its splendid mosaic decorations and the complexity of the square floor plan that opens onto four semi-circular exedras lend further support to the theory that it is the ancient Palatine chapel from the epoch of Theodosius, as is confirmed by the supposed proximity of the imperial palace (of which no trace remains) and the mausoleum-like sacellum of St. Aquilinus which forms part of the building.


Outside there is a marvellous, well-preserved colonnade made of Roman marble columns

It is one of the most striking and notable sights in the city.

We find ourselves in the heart of the hamlet that the Milanese called the “Square of the Citizens” (La Vetra dei Cittadini).

Not to be forgotten is the fact that the city in the IV and V century AD was the capital of the Roman Empire.



The entire foundations were built out of material from the Roman amphitheatre.

On Sundays at 16:00 a mass is held in Tagalog, the official language of the Philippines.

Opening times

Opening times:

Mon - Fri: 08:00 - 18:30
Sabt - Sun: 09:00 - 19:00

Ticket information

Ticket information:

Free admission

Public transport

Public transport:







What's nearby

All +

Upcoming events

All +