The Pinacoteca di Brera is located in Palazzo di Brera, which also houses the Braidense Library, the Botanical Garden, the Astronomical Observatory and the Academy of Fine Arts.
Palazzo Brera, located in a pedestrian area, does not have private parking; people with disabilities can park in the side courtyard by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (entrance from via Fiori Oscuri 2).
The palace was built on an ancient fourteenth-century convent of the order of the Umiliati, later passed to the Jesuits, who established a school there. In 1773, following the dissolution of the Jesuits, the Brera College became state property and the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria wanted to use it as the seat of one of the most advanced cultural centre in the city.
The Pinacoteca opened to the public in 1810. Today the museum collects masterpieces such as the Dead Christ by Andrea Mantegna, The Kiss by Francesco Hayez, the Virgin with Child, Angels and Saints by Piero della Francesca, the Supper in Emmaus by Caravaggio, Fiumana by Pellizza da Volpedo and many others.