Here’s a few steps to get your ATM public transportation pass.
ATM stands for Azienda Trasporti Milanesi and is the Milano Transit Company.
The Milanese public transportation network is composed of four metro lines (soon five), 20 tram lines and 160 bus lines.
Sustainability and technological innovation are the major company drivers for the public transportation service. An ambitious Full-Electric Plan of the Municipality provides for the entire bus fleet – 1,200 vehicles – going 100% electric by 2030.
1. Get your public transportation travel card
To purchase the travel card of your choice you need to request an electronic card that costs 10 € and is valid for 4 years.
You can purchase your electronic card either online or in person at any ATM Point office.
Go to areariservata.atm.it, register, log in and select Nuova carta. Keep your tax code handy.
Choose how to receive your card:
- Directly at home by post. ATM will deliver it to you within 10 days to any address in Milano, Monza and the provinces. Remember to make the request before the 20th of the month, if you already want to use the subscription for the following month. To have your card delivered at home shipping costs amount to 5 €.
- Pick-up at the self-service printers. Just enter the data you received via e-mail and you will immediately get the card valid for travel.
- Where you can find self-service printers (Tessy): Duomo (near turnstiles of M1 and ATM Point), Cadorna (in front of the ATM Point), Loreto (in front of turnstiles of M1), Garibaldi (near turnstiles of M2), Centrale (in front of turnstiles of M2), Bisceglie, Sesto FS, Molino Dorino, Cologno Nord, Famagosta, Gessate, Zara, San Donato
Pay by credit card or PayPal. You can buy an empty travel card, or you can already load it with the months you need or a one-year pass.
Go to any ATM point office. You will need:
- a passport-sized photo
- your ID
Pick up an application form Richiesta di rilascio tessera elettronica and fill it in with your personal data. Date and sign the form. Go to a counter, pay 10€ , and get your card. You can ask the operator directly to top up the monthly or yearly fare if you wish.
2. Recharge your ATM electronic card
When issued, the electronic card is “empty” and should be charged with your chosen travel card. You can top up your card with a monthly pass or an annual pass:
- At automatic machines inside metro stations
- At any tobacconist’s or newsstand that sells transportation tickets
- Online on the ATM website or on the ATM app
To travel within the urban area of Milano (Mi1 zone) you can choose from these 4 options:
- monthly pass for under 27: € 22 (valid for unlimited journeys during the month of validity)
- annual pass for under 27: € 200 (valid for unlimited journeys for one year)
- ordinary monthly pass: € 39 (valid for unlimited journeys during the month of validity)
- ordinary annual pass: € 330 (valid for unlimited journeys for one year)
An Urban Travel Card allows you to ride across the whole ATM urban transportation network (within the borders of the city), as well as the urban portion of the S suburban railway lines (Trenord and Passante Ferroviario) departing from Cadorna, Garibaldi, Porta Venezia, and other underground stations.
Metro stations within the urban fare limits: Molino Dorino and Sesto Marelli on line M1, Cascina Gobba and Famagosta on line M2.
In order to reach the suburban areas from Milano city centre, a suburban pass must be purchased depending on the number of zones travelled (from Mi1 up to Mi9 zones). Go to ATM Fare System website and select Zones and fares tables from the menu to see all the travel passes available (annual or monthly passes for young people under 26; weekly, monthly or annual ordinary passes).
4. Validate your card
At the start of your journey and every time you change the vehicle you should tap your card on the electronic card reader at ticket barriers in the metro stations or on board of buses and trams.
5. What to do if your card is stolen or lost
To obtain a new card please go to an ATM Point with valid ID.
- If your card is stolen you should report it to the police and show the report at the ATM counters.
- If you lose your card you will need to fill in a lost card declaration form available at ATM Points and hand it to ATM staff.
In both cases, there is a charge of 15€ for the issue of a new card.
The City of Milano welcomes and supports you at the One-Stop-Shop for Students
You can book a one-to-one meeting with a member of the YesMilano team to get advice and support. Read more about what we can do for you.
Sign up below to get your appointment with us.
By joining the YesMilano community you will get the YesMilano Student Newsletter to keep up to date with our next activities, Workshops, Talks and Walks and life in the city.