Palazzo Morando is set in Via Sant'Andrea, the beating heart of the Fashion Quadrilateral. With its elegant porticoes, frescoed ceilings and sumptuous interiors, the Palazzo fully embodies the eighteenth-century style and heritage of the noble families who resided therein. Over the centuries, the inhabitants transformed it into one of the most beautiful edifices in the city.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, the countess and scholar Lydia Caprara Morando Attendolo Bolognini bequeathed Palazzo Morando to the Municipality of Milano.
The museum has a dual role with two exhibition routes: the first being the Pinacoteca, a gallery of Milanese scenes and artworks that document the city’s urban and social evolution between the second half of the 17th and the early 20th century; the second is an evocative journey through the rooms whose furnishings bear testimony to eighteenth-century aristocratic taste.
With the establishment of Palazzo Morando | Costume Moda Immagine in 2010, the museum also became an exhibition venue for the civic collection of 17th - 21st century clothes and accessories. The treasured items are exhibited in rotation in an area specifically dedicated to the splendour of costume and fashion.
Important aristocratic and intellectual families have resided in the palazzo, such as the Casati household (end of 16th century – 1713), the Villa family (1733-1845) and the De Cristoforis family (1845-1877). Each of the noble inhabitants redesigned the interior furnishings and tapestries to suit their tastes and needs.