SAN SIRO MUSEUM&TOUR AND SAN SIRO STORE TEMPORALLY CLOSED
The San Siro stadium, whose construction was brought about by the then-president of A.C. Milan Piero Pirelli, was built in 1925 in the neighbourhood with which it shares its name.
Designed by Ulisse Stacchini and Alberto Cugini as the official football field for A.C. Milan, it was used for the first time in 1926 with a friendly match, which Inter Milan won 6-3.
The building remained the property of AC Milan until 1935, when it was purchased by the City Hall, and in 1947 it became the official location for InterMilan as well, whose games had until then been held at the Arena Civica.
Throughout its history, the San Siro stadium has been renovated many times and has had many additions: in 1939 the four straight bleachers were linked with the curved ones, creating a single ring, capable of seating 55.000 spectators. In 1955, with the construction of the second ring, the seating capacity rose to 100.000, and on 25 April 1956, low-cost seating was installed in preparation for the Italy-Brazil match (3-0).
In 1980, the San Siro stadium was named after Giuseppe Meazza, who had been a football star not only for Inter, for which he made his debut at 17, but for Milan as well.
In celebration of the World Cup in 1990, when the Meazza-San Siro stadium was chosen to host the inaugural match, the architects Ragazzi and Hoffner planned the construction of a third, independent ring, supported by 11 enormous external cylindrical towers, in addition to a new lighting structure and a new pitch heater. The Meazza took on its current form and now seats 80.000 people.
“La Scala of football”, as it is sometimes called, has hosted World Cup matches of the and European Championship matches, as well as finals of the latter and of course numberless Italian League matches. Many artists, both Italian and international, have chosen the Meazza for their concerts.
The four 51-metre high, angular towers that support the roof.
The Inter and AC Milan museum that recounts the history of the two Milanese teams through their victories, cups, jerseys and the front pages of newspapers.
San Siro, the neighbourhood of Stadio Meazza, gets its name from a small medieval village known for its church “S. Siro alla Vepra” and for having offered refuge to the Milanese after their city was destroyed by Frederick I (the German Emperor) in 1162.
In 1967, in order to alleviate doubts regarding a goal made by Rivera in a derby, the instant replay was used for the first time in the stadium of San Siro.